BRECKENRIDGE, Colo., Dec. 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ — The Breckenridge community will celebrate Ullr Fest’s 50th anniversary Jan. 6-12, 2013 with a week-long party paying homage to Ullr (pronounced Ooo-ler), the Norse god of snow. In honor of the golden anniversary, event organizers released a new offer that lets travelers ride in the parade, the centerpiece of this Colorado festival. Additional activities include Ullympic comapetitions, town bonfire, a new family night and more. Visit UllrFest.com or RSVP on Facebook for event updates.
- Sunday, Jan. 6 – Crowning of the Ullr King and Queen: Toast to 50 years of fun with free beer and live music by The Luv Brothers. New location for 2013 – Breckenridge Riverwalk Center, 150 W. Adams Ave. FREE
- Monday, Jan. 7 – Family Night (new): Bring the kids for Nordic skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating, indoor activities and a family-friendly bonfire at the Gold Run Nordic Center on Tiger Road. FREE
- Tuesday, Jan. 8 – Ullympics: Partake in wild events such as the frying pan toss, group ski racing and ski boot relay. FREE
- Wednesday, Jan. 9 – Ullr Dating Game: Join local radio station KSMT and all the singles in town for Breckenridge’s 21+ version of the Dating Game. To apply to be a bachelor/bachelorette, call KSMT at 970-453-2234 ext. 20. FREE
- Thursday, Jan. 10 – Ullr Fest parade and town bonfire: The centerpiece of the week, the Ullr Fest parade showcases Breckenridge’s style of wild winter fun – past floats have included dogsled teams, hot tubs, a ski jump and more. A town bonfire and fireworks follow the parade. FREE
- Friday, Jan. 11 – Comedy night: Comedy Works comics descend on Breckenridge for a night of big laughs.
- Saturday, Jan. 12 – Chilly Chili Cookoff & Ullr Fashion Show: Chili experts showcase their best at the Riverwalk Center, 150 W. Adams Ave., in a grand tasting event. Later that evening, a Viking-themed costume contest hits the Park Avenue Pub.
New “Channel Your Inner Ullr” Lodging Package
A spot on an Ullr parade float, five nights of lodging, a dogsled trip, two-day lift tickets, Chilly Chili Cookoff tickets and Ullr helmets included, starting at $125 per person, per night. Limited parade spots available. Visit GoBreck.com or call 800-Go-Breck (800-462-7325) to book.
Ullr Fest history: Locals started the tradition in 1963 to thank Ullr for Breckenridge’s average of 300 inches of snow each winter. Today, all are invited to join the week-long snow dance and pay homage to Ullr at this wild Colorado festival.
Connect on Facebook or Twitter for Breckenridge news and updates or visit your phone’s app store to download the GoBreck mobile application.