Beaupré, January 22, 2015 – On January 24, the Olympic mogul’s skier Pierre-Alexandre Rousseau and Mont-Sainte-Anne celebrated the official opening of the new expert slope named after the athlete. This new addition bumps up the trail count at Mont Saint Anne to 71 trails.
Mont Sainte Anne states that this addition to the mountain’s infrastructures represents took quite a bit of work –
- How long? 6 weeks; from mid-October to late November.
- How many people? About 25 specialized workers took part in this important project.
- What has been done?
- Excavation: reduces the need of snow.
- The track was then cleared, grubbed and leveled to be safe and interesting for skiers and riders.
- Next step: seeding to prevent soil erosion.
- Blasting was done in November to remove rocks and level the track.
- And the result? An exciting 2 004 feet long and 840 feet wide brand new trail!
WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT P-A ROUSSEAU
He spent 15 years on the Moguls National Team and ended his career with 23 World Cup podiums, including 4 gold medals, a World Championship and a fifth place at the Vancouver Olympic Games in 2010.
Pierre-Alexandre Rousseau started skiing at Mont-Sainte-Anne at the age of 4 years and at 11 years old, he was recruited by the resort’s Moguls Team. At 12, he took part in his first Provincial race and at 16, he joined the National Team. Pierre-Alexandre Rousseau makes us the honor to come back to ski Mont-Sainte-Anne every winter since. More than anything, P.A. is an outstanding ambassador for the resort. In addition to coaching young talents when he comes to the mountain, he always spends his lunch time sharing with other skiers, always smiling and sharing with all.
Daniel Rochon, Vice-president and General Director at Mont-Sainte-Anne, explains that: “To name our new trail in our Expert Zone for Pierre-Alexandre is a way to express him our appreciation regarding his success, in addition to designate him as an example of perseverance, determination and courage for all future generations of skiers that are following their dreams.”