SAN DIEGO, August 29, 2012 – After much anticipation, Sony today announced that its industry-leading image quality will now be found in a new, wearable point-of-view video camera for action sports filming in premium full HD 1080p.
Weighing in at approximately three ounces (with battery), the new Action Cam (HDR-AS10) will be an ultra compact point-of-view shooting solution for adventures on the mountain, in the water, and anywhere else the action happens. It will ship with a rechargeable battery, adhesive mounts, and a ruggedized waterproof case featuring a universal tripod mount, built to handle extreme environments so you can concentrate on safety and composition while capturing full HD videos. Within the case, the camera is waterproof down to 197 feet and has a shock resistance rating for up to five foot drops plus dirt and dust resistant seals that help make it impervious to mud, snow, rain, and grime.
Sony will add a Wi-Fi enabled version of the HD video action camcorder (HDR-AS15) to its new lineup as well. The built-in Wi-Fi works with the free PlayMemories Mobile application that allows users to instantly share their content to a smartphone and also allows control of the camera with any compatible device. Additionally, Wi-Fi-enabled mobile phones and tablets running the app can pull optimized movies and photos from the HDR-AS15 camera without requiring a special cable. Once copied, you can use an available 3G or 4G cell network to upload your memories and share them via email or social media networks.
“Only Sony can deliver a technology-packed point-of-view action camera that provides simple operation, high quality content, and Wi-Fi capability in a durable package.” said Hidenori Toyoda, director of the camcorder business at Sony Electronics. “And with various mount options, the Action Cam lineup is so versatile it can easily keep up with even the most extreme lifestyle.”
Both models will offer Sony’s hallmark SteadyShot image stabilization, found in its portfolio of digital imaging products, which compensates for greater degrees of camera shake to deliver stunningly smooth video. In addition, innovative technology adds roll stability for even smoother video capture. An ultra-wide angle Carl Zeiss Tessar lens captures all the action in a 170-degree wide field view with pin-sharp clarity whether you are on the slopes or hitting the trails. No other mountable camera combines such advanced image stabilization and optics with a rugged exterior and convenient Wi-Fi connectivity.
Five video modes can capture all the glory, with a class-exclusive 4x slow mode in 720p HD. Extreme sports athletes and enthusiasts will enjoy HD SLOW 2x (1280 x 720, 60p) and HD SLOW 4x (1280 x 720, 120p) that shoot slow motion, which is ideal for studying and refining form and technique. For traditional shooting methods, the camcorder also offers several different resolutions to suit your needs: Full HD (1920×1080 30p), STD HD (1280×720, 30p), SD VGA (640×480, 30p).
The camera also features Interval Still Recording mode for photo capture. When activated, the device automatically takes still images at pre-set intervals for impressive time-lapse photography.
The video camera’s compact, lightweight body will also house a 16-megapixel “Exmor R” CMOS image sensor to realize stunning low-light sensitivity with improved image clarity and drastically reduced grain. Operation is as simple as pressing a large start/stop button. The camera also features expandable memory with a Memory Stick Micro and Micro SD/SDHC card slot, a built-in stereo microphone to capture all the exciting sounds of your adventure, and an HDMI output to share your video with friends and family on your HDTV (HDMI cable required, not included). Sony’s new device is also Mac and PC compatible with upload to social sharing sites like Facebook and YouTube.
In addition to the adhesive mounts to secure Action Cam easily to flat and curved surfaces, Sony will offer a suite of mounting attachments to suit all types of active pursuits such as:
– A Waterproof Head Mount Kit to use with the included waterproof case for all types of water/snow sports; can also be secured to your own pair of goggles
– A Headband Mount to use without its waterproof case for the lowest profile solution; the supplied light strap is perfect for skateboarding or other street sports
– A Handlebar Mount that can easily attach the camera to any type of bike or bar apparatus
– A Suction Cup to mount the device in/on a vehicle for a variety of motor sports or on any other smooth, non-porous surface
In the coming months following the camera’s launch, its portfolio of compatible accessories will expand to include:
– A Tilt Adaptor to adjust the device’s angle up or down on mounts for more viewpoint options
– A Handheld Grip with LCD Screen adding a camcorder-style 2.7” wide rotatable LCD for instant playback, monitoring during filming, and self-recording
– Anti-fog sheets to help stop condensation build-up in the waterproof case during marine or winter sports, reusable for approx. 2,000 times by natural drying
– A Replacement Door Pack that offers three different housing door options to deliver improved picture or sound quality for suitable environments: HD Dive Housing – door with flat lens for diving/underwater focus, HD Skeleton Housing – door with opening over the microphone for improved audio, Replacement HD Housing – door with curved lens for scratch replacement
The HDR-AS10 Action Cam and the HDR-AS15 Action Cam with Wi-Fi will be available in September for about $199.99 and $269.99 respectively. These cameras and their accessories will be sold at http://store.sony.com, Sony retail stores and other authorized retailers nationwide. Visit blog.sony.com/sonyactioncam for a video first look and follow #ActionCam on Twitter for the latest Action Cam news.