LAKE PLACID, New York — The Olympic Regional Development Authority (ORDA) and Governor Paterson today announced that Lake Placid will host dozens of winter sports competitions including World Championships and World Cup events in advance of the 2010 Winter Games in Vancouver, British Columbia.
The 2010 Winter Games are less than two years away and athletes will compete in numerous events to qualify and prepare for Vancouver. Steeped in the tradition of winter sports dating back to the 1920’s, Lake Placid will again present events in bobsled and skeleton, figure skating, luge, hockey and cross country skiing. In addition, the Empire State Winter Games will return to the region for the 29th consecutive year.
“I am thrilled that New York State will host so many exciting winter sports events leading up to the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver,” said Governor David Paterson. “Lake Placid has long been the home of winter sports competitions and will again provide a scenic setting for what are sure to be some competitive games. On behalf of all New Yorkers, we look forward to welcoming the athletes to Lake Placid and the State of New York.”
Joe Martens, ORDA Chairman, said, “With the lineup that ORDA will produce and the attention that these events will receive, it promises to be another banner winter season for Lake Placid, Whiteface and vicinity. Not only will there be great action at the venues, but these events also bring economic activity to the area in both the short and long term.”
Ted Blazer, ORDA President and CEO said, “Our staff has worked diligently with the international federations, national governing bodies and local officials to create another schedule that continues to reinforce the sporting legacy of the Lake Placid / Whiteface area. This activity places our region front and center in the minds of millions of viewers and readers.”
Activities begin in October and run through the beginning of April. Events include:
- Oct. 28-Nov. 1: International Training week for Luge
- Nov. 2-9 Four Nations Cup hockey action including a women’s tournament featuring the United States, archrival Canada, Finland and Sweden, along with an under-18 men’s tournament where the battles will be joined between the U.S., Switzerland, Sweden and Finland.
- Nov. 10-16: International Training Week for Bobsled and Skeleton
- Nov. 17-23: America’s Cup Bobsled and Skeleton
- Nov 29: Smucker’s Stars on Ice created by Scott Hamilton and featuring Sasha Cohen
- Dec 8-13: U.S. Junior National Figure Skating Championships
- Dec. 15-19: Intercontinental Cup Skeleton
- Jan. 2-4: Geoff Bodine Bobsled Challenge lead by former Daytona 500 winner Geoff Bodine
- Jan. 15-18: ISI Figure Skating Competition
- Jan. 18-19: World Cup freestyle skiing
- Feb.2-8: World Luge Championships
- Feb. 7: Lake Placid Loppet Citizens Cross Country Ski Race
- Feb. 11-15: Disney on Ice
- Feb. 16-Mar.1: World Bobsled and Skeleton Championships
- Feb. 20-22: 29th Annual Empire State Winter Games
- Mar. 5-8: Lake Placid International Pee Wee Hockey Tournament
- Mar. 12-16: North American Cup Alpine Skiing Finals
- Mar. 30-Apr. 4: America’s Cup Bobsled and Skeleton
Jim Goff, ORDA Director of Events added, “To develop a winter schedule such as this illustrates the depth, experience and ability of our venues and departments. We’re striving for great competitions and memorable events.”
For more information on these venues and events, including webcams from five locations, please log on to www.whitefacelakeplacid.com.