LINCOLN, New Hampshire — March has come in like a lion, dumping over a foot of new snow so far this month on New Hampshire’s Loon Mountain. With over seven feet falling since February 1st, Loon announced it will stay open through Monday, April 21.
Loon Mountain kicked off its King of Spring event series on March 1, with the resort’s annual TJX Briefcase Race, hosted by WCVB-TV’s Mike Lynch. The event, which supports the Breast Cancer Research Fund at Boston’s Faulkner Hospital Breast Centre, raised over $70,000 in one day. The Briefcase Race has raised over $1 million for breast cancer research over the past 16 years.
Loon is also on track to post record snow totals this season. Over 17 feet of snowfall so far mean incredible March and late-season conditions, giving skiers and riders even more reason to make their way to Loon Mountain.
Spring Events Calendar:
- March 15: 24th Annual Governor’s Cup – Open to the public, this race honors Loon’s founder, Sherman Adams. Prizes for age categories from 8-80.
- March 15: Shop Showdown – Snowboard shop teams from all around New England compete in Loon’s signature LMP. Two-person teams compete in three different disciplines. First place wins a vacation at Loon’s sister resort- Big Sky, Montana.
- March 23: Easter Sunrise Service and Egg Hunt – Guests begin loading the gondola at 5:30 a.m. for a sunrise service starting at 6:15 a.m. After the service, guests can ski, snowboard, or ride the gondola to return to the base. The Easter Egg Hunt kicks off at 9:00 am. Fun kid games continue through the day.
- March 29: Mountain Dew Vertical Challenge Finals – Mountain Dew brings its famed racing event to Loon Mountain for the last hurrah of the season. Challenge champions from mountains around New England are invited to participate in the Finals weekend.
- March 30: Cardboard Box Race – A Loon classic, the Cardboard Box Race celebrates everything fun about spring and skiing.
- March 29-30: The Weekend with 382 – Park event for freeskiers only. Similar to March Madness, the event is open to the first 64 competitors. It’s a unique event that combines both on-mountain talent and behind-the-camera-lens talent.
- April 5: Margaritas Slush Pool Party – Grab your beach towel and take a chance making it across the famed slush pool. Or have fun just watching the 75 competitors try. New this year, Margaritas Restaurants will host the apres ski party in the Bunyan Room. Plenty of great entertainment and fun competitions–see who can eat the most avocados in five minutes!
In addition to exciting spring events at the resort, Loon just announced the brand-new 2008-09 New England Season Pass lineup. Valid at Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf, New England Passes are now on sale, with prices starting at $349.
Current 2007-08 Loon, Sunday River and Sugarloaf season pass holders, who maintain or upgrade their pass level when purchasing a New England Pass before April 30, can take advantage of special $50 savings. First-time pass purchasers can enjoy complimentary skiing or riding for the rest of the 2007-08 season, starting March 23.
For a full event calendar and details, click on http://www.loonmtn.com/winter/events.asp.
For updated snow conditions, click on http://www.loonmtn.com/winter/conditions.asp or call 1-800-229-LOON(5666).