VERNON, new Jersey ??вЂќ Furthering Mountain Creek’s growing reputation as a unique four season resort getaway, the third Annual U.S. Open of Mountain Biking, held by Diablo Freeride Park at Mountain Creek over the weekend drew 375 professional and amateur racers from 30 different states and 6 different countries.
The resort’s Black Creek Sanctuary lodging, as well as many neighboring hotels, was completely sold-out well in advance as a result of the Open and holiday weekend getaways, further demonstrating the region’s growth in the areas of outdoor recreation and eco-tourism. With the impending opening of the Appalachian hotel at Mountain Creek later this summer, still more people will be able to enjoy all that the region has to offer in comfort and style year round.
This event boasted numerous sponsors, including Cannondale Bicycle Corporation, Fox Racing Shox, Magura USA, Moorewood Bikes USA, Hayes Disc Brakes, Sram, High Gear Racing, Inc, e.13 Components, Cycle Works, SIC, Kenda USA, Fox Riders Co., Northeast Sovereign DH Racing, Brooklyn Machine Works, IRA Cycles, Sinister Bikes, Powerbar, Iron Horse Bikes and NYC Freeride.
The riders came for the huge cash purse of over $35,000 in cash and prizes, the convenient location, epic course, and warm hospitality, building on this race’s reputation as one of the nation’s premier downhill events.
For the second year in a row Australian phenom Sam Hill posted the fastest course time (2:48.501) continuing to prove his dominance in the downhill race scene. Hill edged out fellow countrymen Nathan Rennie by over two seconds solidly defending his 2004 U.S. Open Title and claiming the unprecedented first place payout of $5000. Rounding out the remaining men’s podium spot and taking third place was yet another Australian ripper Chris Kovarik.
Sabrina Jonnier, competing in her first U.S. Open, adapted quickly to the legendary terrain of Diablo Freeride Park and claimed top honors in the women’s pro category. Throwing down a time of 3:11.195, Jonnier posted nearly a four second lead over defending U.S. Open champion Kathy Pruitt.
For complete results visit www.diablofreeridepark.com
1. SAM HILL IRON HORSE / MADCATZ 2:48.501 ***
2. NATHAN RENNIE SANTA CRUZ SYNDICATE 2:50.908 +2.407
3. CHRIS KOVARIK INTENSE FACTORY RACING 2:51.775 +3.274
4. MICHAEL HANNAH TEAM HARO 2:52.003 +3.502
5. JUSTIN HAVUKAINEN IRON HORSE / MADCATZ 2:54.094 +5.593
1. SABRINA JONNIER INTENSE FACTORY RACING 3:11.195 ***
2. KATHY PRUITT LUNA WOMENS MTB TEAM 3:14.974 +3.779
3. SCARLETT HAGEN IRON HORSE / MADCATZ 3:15.022 +3.827
4. MARLA STREB LUNA WOMENS / RED BULL 3:16.865 +5.670
5. MELISSA BUHL KHS BICYCLES 3:27.047 +15.852
1. JAMES MCNEILL BEYOND BIKES 3:16.243 ***
2. MARC TREMAIN DIABLO FREERIDE PARK 3:16.313
3. JAMIE FORD UMAC 3:16.616 +0.373
4. NATE BARGIEL N/A 3:18.847 +2.604
5. FRED HEINLY READING RACING 3:19.004 +2.761
1. SARAH DYNIA CUTTING EDGE 4:16.217 ***
2. DAWN CHAPLIN N/A 4:20.249 +4.032
3. JENNA RIZZO FINISHLINE FACTORY TEAM 4:31.127 +14.910
4. TERRY SEEBERG BROOKLYN MACHINE WORKS 4:34.499 +18.282
5. STACEY OMLAND HIGH GEAR RACING 4:51.346 +35.129