New Hampshire Ski Areas Announces 2013/14 Numbers

By AlpineZone News |
Aug 13 2014 - 10:18 PM

Ski New Hampshire LogoNORTH WOODSTOCK, NH, JUNE 2014 – The 2013-14 ski season in New Hampshire was a success for skiers and ski area operators alike. Mother Nature provided excellent skiing and riding conditions for the 2013-14 ski season resulting in impressive business levels. New Hampshire’s resorts hosted more than 2.5 million skier, snowboarder, and snowtubing visits, according to numbers released by Ski New Hampshire.

Alpine ski areas recorded a total of 2,272,826 alpine skier and snowboarder visits, a .2% decrease from the prior winter but 3.5% above the ten year average. The number is the 6th best downhill ski season on record for the state. Cross country areas also had a very successful winter posting the 9th best cross country ski season on record. The 147,259 visits at cross country ski areas represent a 2.9% decrease from the prior winter, but a 10.4% increase over the ten year average. Areas with snowtubing parks reported 120,053 snowtubing visits, a 6.2% increase from the prior winter and a 10.8% increase over the ten year average.

Thanks to consistent cold in November and December, New Hampshire’s extensive snowmaking infrastructure, which covers over 90% of the state’s downhill terrain, was able to get an early jump on the season. These snowmaking efforts resulted in excellent conditions during the December holiday period despite a relative lack of natural snowfall at that point in the winter. To the delight of resorts and guests alike, regular natural snowfall began to fall in January and continued into the spring months. Most of the holiday periods had excellent business levels thanks to enjoyable weather and snowfall. Similar to the previous ski season, winter weather continued right through March making for excellent skiing and riding conditions well into April.

Operating largely without the benefit of snowmaking technology, cross country ski areas enjoyed the abundant natural snowfall. The storms cooperated and dropped snow relatively evenly across the state, allowing entire trail networks to be opened for guests to enjoy snow-covered trails into the spring months.

Since 2000, New Hampshire has recorded the top 9 ski seasons on record, showing the success and growth of skiing and snowboarding in the Granite State. New Hampshire businesses rely heavily on the ski industry. An economic impact study conducted after the 2012/13 season showed a total of $1.15 billion dollars spent as a result of guests visiting NH ski areas. Of that total, only 9% was spent directly at ski areas, with the remaining 91% benefitting other parts of the state’s economy.

“It was a fun winter for skiers and resorts alike; our snowmakers were able to capitalize on early season cold, then regular snowstorms topped things off resulting in a classic ski season,” noted Karl Stone, Ski NH’s marketing director.

“With 9 of our best seasons for skier visits occurring within the last 14 years, it’s clear that the sports of skiing and snowboarding are not only healthy in the state of NH, but thriving,” said Jessyca Keeler, executive director of Ski NH. “Excellent early season snowmaking efforts at our alpine areas combined with abundant natural snowfall made for an unforgettable ski season in which skiers and riders were able to ski well into April.”

Ski NH is the statewide association representing 33 alpine and cross country resorts and more than 200 lodging and guest service properties in New Hampshire. For more information on ski areas, lodging packages, and updated winter events at Ski NH resorts, call Ski NH at (800) 88-SKI-NH (800-887-5464) or visit the Ski NH website at For statewide media relations assistance, visit the New Hampshire Division of Travel and Tourism’s media room at or contact Mr. Tai Freligh at 603-271-2343, option #2.