LUDLOW, Vermont — In Cooperation with the National Ski Areas Association National Safety Awareness Week, January 19 to 25, Okemo Mountain Resort is seeking entries for a Kids’ Safety Poster Contest. Prizes will be awarded in select categories.
The poster contest is open to all elementary school students and the theme of the poster must relate to one of the seven points in “The Skier Responsibility Code” or any of the three “Smart Style” elements. Official entry forms and contest rules are available at www.nsaa.org. Entries may also be submitted on any 8 ??” x 11″ or 11″ x 17″ sheet of paper. Children may use pencil, crayon, paint or any other two-dimensional medium. Name, address and phone number of artists must appear on each entry. Deadline for submissions is January 25. Entries may be delivered to the Okemo Mountain Services Desk or sent by mail to: Okemo Safety Poster Contest, 77 Okemo Ridge Road, Ludlow, VT 05149.
All winning entries will be posted at www.okemo.com and the top winning poster will be entered in a national contest.
Your Responsibility Code
- Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.
- People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.
- You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.
- Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.
- Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.
- Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.
- Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.
Smart Style Elements
- LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP
Scope around the jumps first, not over them. Know your landings are clear and clear yourself out of the landing area.
- EASY STYLE IT
Start small and work your way up. (Inverted aerials not recommended).
- RESPECT GETS RESPECT
From the lift line through the park.
For more information, please visit www.okemo.com or nsaa.org.