LAKE PLACID, New York ??вЂќ Skiers and riders don??в„ўt look now, but the countdown is on to the first day of snowmaking at Whiteface. Weather conditions permitting, guns and hoses will be on center stage and pumping beginning November 1.
Based on cooperation from the weather gods, Whiteface will strive for a mid to late November opening. When the Olympic mountain commences for the season, guests will find the following new developments.
- Re-grading of several summit trails (Riva Ridge, Paron??в„ўs Run) to make them smoother coupled with the installation of 35 permanent, low-energy power snow guns along those summit trails. The goal of this work is to facilitate an earlier opening of the upper mountain.
- A new winch cat and free groomer have been added to the fleet. The winch cat primarily grooms the steeps and re-distributes snow uphill.
- Re-positioning of the superpipe on the Bear trail. This will make the pipe steeper for recreational skiers and riders and World Cup snowboarders.
- An additional filter has been installed at the Ausable River water intake as an efficiency upgrade to the snowmaking system.
- Some snowmaking line upgrades have been completed for greater water capacity.
- There will be four terrain parks for all ability levels. They will be found on Lower Valley, Lower Thruway, Brookside and Kids Kampus.
- New headquarters for the New York Ski Educational Foundation at the base of the Boreen trail.
- Preliminary planning and engineering has occurred for the installation of an automated snowmaking system in the future.
Lake Placid to Torino
During the season, Whiteface will host the Nature Valley Freestyle Cup. This World Cup tour stop will find the best mogul skiers on the circuit descending the Wilderness trail on January 20 and 22. It will be the final such competition prior to the 2006 Winter Games in Torino, Italy and the last chance for skiers to qualify for the Games. An aerial skiing event will also take place on January 21 in Lake Placid under the lights.
The final major event of the year will mark the return of the Torino medalists when the State Farm U.S. Snowboard Cup comes to Whiteface March 9-12 for Nokia World Cup events in parallel giant slalom, halfpipe and snowboardcross.
For more information on conditions and events at Whiteface as well as web cams from five locations, please log on to www.whiteface.com.